A Denver-based software development leader working with global teams of world-class engineers for a large technology company. I manage managers and lead people.
Leadership (and any task that involves people) should start with the people. Happy developers are those who can go home everyday feeling good about what they accomplished that day. My approach to management starts with expectations and shared values. While they seem to always be evolving, the current values I bring to my team are as follows:
- People values and org values do not have to be orthogonal. People get the most work satisfaction from being productive on worthwhile endeavors.
- Value delivered is more important than work delivered.
- People (managers included) work in different ways. This should be encouraged. Results are the thing to track.
- Try to work less to deliver more. Leave room for people, yourself, and strategic thinking.
- Stay true to yourself. Remember why you are here. (Respect our work and non-work humanity.)